I have many professional and academic interests, but I also have several hobbies. This is the place where I write about various general interests. I enjoy traveling, hiking, cooking, reading, woodworking, and listening to music, just to name a few.
Here are some interesting topics with corresponding links.
- Travel Maps – These are two maps I created of places I traveled. The first map displays the states I have visited (layovers don’t count), and the second shows some of the major cities I’ve been to (or have lived in).
I enjoy listening to most types of music. My favorite genres (at least currently) are classical, jazz, folk, classic rock, and alternative rock.
Some of my favorite classical pieces and operas (organized roughly by composer’s name and opus):
- Ludwig van Beethoven — Symphony No. 5, Op. 67, C minor
- Ludwig van Beethoven — Symphony No. 6, Op. 68, F major (Pastoral Symphony)
- Hector Berlioz — Symphonie Fantastique, Op. 14
- Johannes Brahms — Concerto for Violin, Op. 77, D major
- Antonín Dvořák — Symphony No. 9, Op. 95, E minor (From the New World)
- Gustav Mahler — Symphony No. 2, C minor (Resurrection Symphony)
- Felix Mendelssohn — Symphony No. 4, Op. 90, A major (Italian)
- Sergei Rachmaninoff — Concerto for Piano No. 1, Op. 1, F-sharp minor
- Sergei Rachmaninoff — Concerto for Piano No.3, Op. 30, D minor
- Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov — Scheherazade, Op. 35
- Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky — Concerto for Violin, Op. 35, D major
- Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky — Concerto for Piano No. 2, Op. 44, G major
- Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky — 1812 Overture, Op. 49, E-flat major
- Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky — Symphony No. 6, Op. 74, B minor (Pathétique Symphony)
Some of my favorite jazz albums:
- Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers — Moanin’ (1959)
- John Coltrane — A Love Supreme (1965)
- John Coltrane — Blue Train (1958)
- John Coltrane — Giant Steps (1960)
- Miles Davis — The Birth of Cool (1957)
- Miles Davis — Kind of Blue (1959)
- Duke Ellington — Duke Ellington in Concert: Takin’ the ‘A’ Train (Recorded 1965-66)
- Charles Mingus — Mingus Ah Um (1959)
- Thelonious Monk — Misterioso (1958)